Wednesday 17 February 2016

12. Babylone, Beer project Brussels

Beer number 12 - Babylone

Brand: Beer Project Brussels
Consumption date: 17/02/15
Description: Bread Bitter
Nationality: Belgian
ABV: 7%
Source: Beer52
Price: £14 for 8 mixed beers (£1.75 per bottle)

When I opened the box and saw (as per usual) a few promising looking beers, a number of mediocre efforts and a few that are unlikely to be pleasant to my taste I was once again disappointed in Beer52 and immediately cancelled my membership. I just don't understand why they have a preferred flavour profile and requests section if this information is entirely ignored in packing my box. None-the-less I collected up the familiar enjoyments and the interesting sounding efforts for later consumption.

The Babylone, which I must say is one I had down as a not so good prospect turns out to be a pleasant number. Historically having never been a fan of bitters I didn't think much of it on first glance but it has been a nice, flavour rich surprise to drink. Of course the bitter notes are there. What else would you expect? The way they have hopped this bitter has helped pack a punch of excitement into the beer and added an extra dimension to the flavour. What they describe as their "GBH" (grains, bread and hops) smacks of woody, smoke taste textures and caramel finish. They identify it as fruity, yet I am not so sure. Perhaps under-ripe fruit which is drawing in that wood to the flavour. The only negative I'm going to level at this beer is that the malty taste that underpins everything is a little too prevalent for me. Probably worth a trial, yet I doubt I'm buying this again. Although Jamie Oliver seems to think its "Pukka"

The score:

3 beers out of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment